The main factor causing nail fungus is infection - the penetration of pathogens into the nail plate. Therefore, in order to defeat the disease, doctors are prescribed several remedies for the fungus on the feet. Currently in the pharmacy chain they are presented in a wide range - tablets, sprays, in addition to varnishes and ointments. With a timely and complex impact, the disease can be treated in a short time.
Types of nail fungus medications
In direct dependence on the clinical characteristics of the fungal infection, as well as on the prevalence of the disease, the specialist will indicate the best therapeutic option.
With onychomycosis, medications are chosen from the following types:
- With fungicidal effect - effectively inhibits the activity of most subgroups of fungi.
- The means of the allylamine subgroup are effective against fungal and yeast microorganisms.
- Morpholine-based preparations - suppress the viability of fungi due to the violation of their membrane structure.
- Other medicines: based on undecylenic acid, with essential oils, with herbal ingredients.
When choosing a particular antifungal, the doctor must consider its price, as therapeutic measures will need to be carried out for a long time - sometimes up to six months or more.
To suppress the fungal flora directly in the tissues of the nail, experts are considering drugs with local antifungal action. The pharmaceutical industry produces them in several ways:
- ointments, creams;
- serums, solutions;
- keratolytic adhesives.
As a rule, the listed funds will be effective in the initial stage of onychomycosis - in case of damage by fungal microorganisms, no more than 2/3 of the nail area in 1-2 fingers. In other cases, local therapy is performed as an additional measure to combat the disease.
The use of antifungal varnishes and creams has its own characteristics - to accelerate the penetration of the active components of the medicine from the fungus, a preliminary preparation is necessary:
- spray the affected part of the nail - for example, in a soda-salt solution during a foot bath;
- removing the diseased part of the nail - for example, with pedicure scissors or a file;
- application of disinfectant solution;
- treatment with antifungal medication.
A healthy nail will gradually grow back. However, this will require patience.
In the case of massive infection by fungal microorganisms (large area of injury, infection not only of the nails, but also of other parts of the body with vivid clinical manifestations, formation of complications), doctors resort to systemic drugs. Its goal is to suppress growth as much as possible and the reproduction of fungal pathogens.
Of course, these drugs have their own advantages:
- the ability to penetrate more deeply into the tissues, which local funds are deprived of;
- preservation of the concentration of the drug in the application sites for a longer time - up to several weeks, even months;
- less laborious use, especially with several fungi outbreaks - just take pills 1-2 times a day;
- cost-effective - as a rule, 1 vial of the fungus medicine is sufficient for the course of treatment.
From the deficiencies of antifungal drugs, doctors indicate:
- increased toxicity to the digestive system and the patient's body as a whole;
- inability to use in certain subgroups of patients - for example, in children, pregnant women and also in the elderly;
- some systemic antifungals are reduced to be introduced into the body only under stationary conditions.
To reduce the risk of side effects from taking medications, experts prescribe them in short courses - in complex therapies, along with varnishes or local sprays.
List of effective medications for toenail fungus
It is difficult for a person who is unaware of the characteristics and mechanisms of the antifungal effect of drugs to find out which drugs will have the desired therapeutic effect more quickly. In the arsenal of a modern mycologist, there are many powerful and proven remedies for fungi:
- Antifungal varnishes.
- Fungicide creams are recommended for the superficial penetration of the fungus into the nail or for damage to the adjacent soft tissues of the fingers.
- Keratolytic agents are an excellent alternative to hardware to get rid of fungus on the feet, as they are advisable for extensive injuries.
- Systemic antimycotics - necessary for severe nail fungus.
Self-medication of a fungal disease is absolutely unacceptable. The best drug regimens for fungal microorganisms should be selected by a doctor. In that case, the treatment will be effective, fast and safe.
Advantages and disadvantages of drugs in the allylamine subgroup
In the pharmacy chain, the drugs in the allylamine subgroup are presented in different dosage forms:
The drug is a prominent representative of antifungal drugs in the allylamine subgroup. Therefore, it is inherent to have a powerful antifungal effect against most fungal microorganisms.
When taken orally, the active component of the drug quickly accumulates in the tissues. At the same time, the systemic effect may persist for a long time due to the high concentration of the fungicidal drug in the nail bed. Thanks to this feature, the treatment time for onychomycosis can be significantly reduced.
Contraindications are indicated in the manufacturer's detailed instructions attached:
- individual human hyper-reaction to the main and additional components of the drug;
- children of the infected - children up to 10–12 years old;
- decompensated diseases of the liver cells as well as the kidneys.
With extreme caution, a remedy for the fungus is prescribed for people prone to allergic diseases. Sometimes, in the context of therapy, undesirable effects are formed:
- dyspeptic disorders;
- joint and muscle pain;
- allergic skin rashes;
- sleep disorders;
- hair loss.
The cost of the drug will depend on the form of release, region, volume of the bottle.
Characteristics of the use of terbinafine-based drugs
Mycologists start antifungal treatment with terbinafine-based drugs, since the manufacturer produces the drug in various forms - from pills and solutions to varnishes and sprays. This expands the possibilities of getting rid of nail fungus, even in the advanced stage of the disease.
With the correct selection of the antifungal therapy regimen, the positive results are noticeable at the end of the second week from the time these funds are used. Spraying the active ingredient in the form of a spray, as well as taking pills, is considered a particularly successful combination.
However, the main advantage of the fungus drug is a wide variety of local forms. Therefore, on the pharmacy shelf there are varnishes, ointments and spray. Just apply them punctually, which avoids unwanted systemic complications. In this case, the concentration of the active substance remains high for a long time. This allows you to use the medicine not only for therapeutic purposes, but also for prophylactic purposes - to prevent nail re-infection. It is extremely rare that a fungus medication can cause:
- skin rashes;
- increase in local fires;
- unpleasant itch after application.
The tablet form, when taken in an uncontrolled way, can cause disturbances in the functioning of the immune, nervous, digestive and musculoskeletal systems.
Fluconazole-based fungi treatment
A modern and potent agent, which contains fluconazole, as a rule, is introduced in the antifungal therapy regime, including in cases of infection of the toenails, with massive lesions by fungal microorganisms. Available in two forms - tablets and capsules.
The manufacturer's instructions for use describe in detail the best scheme to influence the fungus for the different types of onychomycosis. Since treatment requires long-term use of pills, the mycologist selects the frequency of administration and duration of therapy individually.
In combination with local forms of antifungal drugs - varnishes, sprays, drugs from this group in capsules will have the necessary therapeutic effect. This often speeds up recovery time - nails are clean and beautiful.
Contraindications to the drug:
- children under 12;
- in women - the period of intrauterine pregnancy of the fetus;
- severe functional disorders in the structure of the liver, as well as in the renal tubules;
- individual hyper-reaction.
The cost depends directly on the use of the original active substance for the production of tablets. The drugs are quite affordable in terms of price. Whereas their counterparts can cause significant financial damage.
Alternative remedies for nail fungus
In addition to the advertised antifungal medications, alternative medications will deal with the disease. Popular with doctors and patients are:
- Antiseptics - have a pronounced disinfectant and bactericidal effect, whereas such drugs are sufficient to apply once a day for two months;
- Menthol oral cleanser - used in the form of a foot bath, for example, in combination with apple cider vinegar, the duration of the procedure is about 15-20 minutes every day;
- Products based on boric acid - to eliminate nail fungus, when used correctly.
Success in the fight against toenail fungus depends a lot on the opportunity of the antifungal treatment initiated. Even a small spot can indicate the penetration of fungal microorganisms in the thickness of the nail plate. You have to deal with them in a complex way - with the help of pills, ointments, medicinal varnishes.